Newfoundland Travel Guide
Last summer I made my way out to Newfoundland for the very first time and what a spectacular province it is to visit. Newfoundland is unlike any place I've been in Canada and somewhere I am eager to explore further. Our trip was 10 days and that was only sufficient for a quick series of hops around the mid-east coast. Don't let the map fool you, you're going to do more driving than relaxing on this trip if you want to see much outside of the capital. We visited St. John's, Terra Nova, Twilingate, and Fogo Island and were in and out of each area more quickly that we would have liked.
WHERE WE STAYED
Cantwell House, St. John's: a pretty bed & breakfast and the perfect one to start your Newfoundland trip at. Helpful hosts willing to explain the city, unparalleled views from the top floor balcony, and very centrally located.
Prints of Whales Inn, Sandringham: a sweet little family-run bed & breakfast. Comfortable, a short drive to Terra Nova National Park, and in a very sleepy little town.
Captain's Legacy, Twilingate: a beautiful bed & breakfast with stunning views. Wished we could have stayed here longer to enjoy this part of the province and enjoy Addie and John's hospitality.
Tilting Harbour Bed & Breakfast, Fogo Island: our favourite destination and a perfect B&B. Host Tom (an expat from Toronto) is a great cook and has made an idillic little getaway on the edge of the island.
ACTIVITIES & CULTURE
- Get screeched in: We experienced the famous Newfoundland initiation at Christian's Bar, but there are plenty of other places to do this
- Go on a boat tour: Timing your visit to see whales is tough, but you should go on a boat tour anyways. We did the Witless Bay Ecological Reserve trip with O'Brien's Boat Tours and saw our first icebergs and puffins.
- Visit Fogo Island: This was the highlight of my trip. Stay with Tom in Tilting Harbour (link above). If you're lucky there will be a "kitchen party" across from Tom's bed & breakfast. Hike the Brimstone Head Trail and make the trek to see all four artist's residences (pictured above).
- Hike at Terra Nova National Park
- Chase icebergs: Locate the biggest icebergs near you with this iceberg tracker and pull off the side of the road to enjoy the sight. An amazing experience the first few you stumble upon.
- Visit Signal Hill
- Catch the sunset at Cape Spear
FOOD & DRINK
- Mallard Cottage: this was where we had our anniversary dinner. Easily one of the best culinary experiences I've had anywhere in Canada. Make a reservation and ask for the Chef's Choice menu, you won't be disappointed!
- Fixed Coffee & Baking: a comfortable coffee shop in the heart of St. John's
- Adelaide Oyster House: our favourite bar on the island. Run by an acclaimed Canadian chef this is where we chose to start and end our trip thanks to the fun atmosphere, friendly staff, and fresh oysters.
- Twilingate Dinner Theatre: go for the lobster dinner and stay for the funny show