Layered Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
This is a special family recipe passed down from my Baba to my mom, to me. An easy one to make and with a low-sugar icing, this cake can be made as a three-layer cake, in a long rectangular pan, or in a bundt pan, depending on what you have on hand.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1-1/2 cups neutral oil
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 8-1/2 oz. can crushed pineapple (drained)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add sugar, oil, and eggs and mix well.
- Add carrots, drained pineapple, and nuts.
- Turn into a greased and floured pan (my preference is three 9” diameter layer pans).
- Bake a 350F for 40 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan, then invert and cool completely on a drying rack.
- Frost with cream cheese icing.
Cream cheese Icing
Beat together 1/4 cup softened butter, 16 oz cream cheese (2 bricks), 8-10 tbsp of icing sugar. Thin with milk, if required. If you are not making a layer cake you can half the icing ingredients.